Monday 28 May 2012

Lemon Ice Cream


To accompany the gingerbread cake was lemon ice cream.  This was one of the first ice creams I made when I got my ice cream maker for my birthday last year.  It was a huge hit and is one I've been requested to make on several occasions, including a couple of dinner parties.

This ice cream has a custard base.  I am just not a fan of the Philadelphia style.  Also, I lost the address where I originally got this recipe since it was saved in my favourites on my laptop, which was stolen a few weeks ago.  Luckily I had the recipe written down in my binder so at least I had that.  Unfortunately can't credit the original source though.  So sorry about that.

Recipe - makes about 1.5l/2.5pints:

Remember to check your ice cream makers instructions.  I have to chill my bowl for 12 hours before hand so be aware of what you have to do so you have enough time.
  • 2tbsp grated lemon peel
  • 125ml/4.5fl.oz lemon juice
  • 170g/6oz caster sugar
  • 4 egg yolks
  • Pinch of salt
  • 240ml/8fl.oz milk
  • 480ml/16fl.oz whipping cream
  1. Mix together the grated lemon peel, sugar and lemon juice.  Put in the fridge to chill.  The longer it has to chill the more intense the flavour.
  2. Beat the salt into the egg yolks.
  3. In a saucepan heat the milk until it just starts to boil.
  4. Pour the hot milk into the eggs and mix well.
  5. Pour back into the saucepan and heat gently, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick and coats the back of the spoon. Do not let it boil or it will turn into scrambled eggs.  If you do end up with a few bits though, run it through a sieve.
  6. Pour the custard back into its bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
  7. Once thoroughly chilled, stir the lemon mixture into the custard, followed by the cream.
  8. Pour into your ice cream maker and mix for about half an hour.
  9. I recommend chilling it in the freezer for a couple of hours after mixing it so that it can firm up a little bit.
If left in the freezer for a long time it will go very hard so take it out about 20 minutes before serving to let it soften or you won't be able to dish it up.

2 comments:

  1. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream! It looks so tasty. *drools* Damn it, now I want to eat ice creeeeeeam D:

    ReplyDelete