Thursday 10 May 2012

Mini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Buttercream


Okay, that title is a bit of a lie.  These are actually chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes.  Each of them has a ball of cookie dough in the centre (it's something I've noticed on a few blogs whilst I was browsing around and wanted to try out yesterday after a bit on a downer of a day).  Unfortunately, the cookie dough is far too floury and not that nice to eat.  But the rest of it is soooo good I can't bring myself to call it a failed experiment.  Hence I'm not.  I'm just missing out the cookie dough middles.  I will attempt the cookie dough centre again at some point but for now I am going to post the recipe for the cakes and the icing.  



Recipe:
 

The cakes were made in a mini muffin tray because it was a trial recipe and I thought tiny cakes would make a nice addition to my lunch.  They use a halved batch of my standard fairy cake recipe, with the addition of 75g of chocolate chips.

Cookie Dough Buttercream - adapted from What's Cooking on Planet Byn 
This is a halved recipe.
  • 85g/3oz butter
  • 45g/1.5oz brown sugar
  • 110g/4oz icing sugar
  • 32g/1.1oz plain flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tbsp milk
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 25g chocolate chips/chunks
  1. Mix together the butter and the brown sugar until creamy.
  2. Beat in the icing sugar until it is smooth.
  3. Add flour and salt and beat in.
  4. Finally add milk and vanilla and keep mixing until everything is combined and you have a reasonable smooth mixture.
  5. Put in a piping bag with a small star nozzle (mine was a 30) and pipe swirls ontop of cakes.
  6. Finish with some chocolate chips/chunks on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment