Friday 29 June 2012

Triple Chocolate Mousse Cakes


Wednesday was a busy day.  I was not needed at school, which turned out to be a blessing because everything I had to do took so long!  Since Thursday was going to be the last day of school before the summer holidays I wanted to bake presents for people.  I made cakes with cake pops in them for the kids in P4 and then I made these triple chocolate mousse cakes for the staff.

The triple chocolate mousse cakes are something I've been wanting to make for a while since I saw them in Baking Heaven magazine.  They were just so pretty!  But didn't have a reason until now.  And for the most part they came out perfect.  The only problem was that I didn't make the shells thick enough so when I tried to peel off the paper they started to fall apart.  This worked out for the best though since it meant stopped them melting when I handed them out to people.

I made one alteration to the recipe, which was that I used double the amount of mixture for the cake bases.  This was because I didn't have enough mini muffin trays and it would take far too long to do it in two halves.  So I used full sized cupcake trays and hence needed more mixture.

They were very well received.  Everyone thought they were pretty and said they tasted great.  I was very pleased.


Makes 24
  • 120g/4oz unsalted butter
  • 120g/4oz caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 90g/3.5oz self-raising flour
  • 30g/1oz cocoa
  •  300g/10.5oz dark chocolate
  • 150g/5.5oz white chocolate
  • 225ml/7.5fl.oz double cream
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and grease two 12 hole muffin trays or line them with paper cases.
  2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with a whisk until pale and creamy.
  3. Add the egg and beat that in too.
  4. Sift the flour and cocoa together into a separate bowl and then add to the sugar mixture.  Fold in.
  5. Put a dessert spoonful of mixture into each hole in the tray.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.  The cakes should be springy to the touch.
  7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and clean out the muffin trays.
  8. Cut out 24 12cm square pieces of baking parchment.
  9. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over hot water.
  10. Use a pastry brush to paint a very thick layer of chocolate onto each square.  Don't paint all the way to the edge and try to keep some chocolate back for drizzling.
  11. Put a cake into the centre of each square (if the cakes are in cases, take them out) and then push each on back into one of the holes in the muffin tray so that the sides of the baking parchment sit up around the cakes like a wavy case.
  12. Make the mousse by melting the white chocolate and leaving to cool.
  13. Whip the cream and then fold into the cooled white chocolate.
  14. Spoon the mousse into a piping bag which has a large star nozzle attached to it (I used Wilton 1M) and pipe a swirl of mousse on top of each cake.
  15. Drizzle dark chocolate over the mousse and then put the trays in the fridge to set.  This is about 3 hours.
  16. Remove from fridge, carefully peel off the parchment and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment