Friday 13 July 2012

Treacle Sponges


This was something that I just wanted to try.  I wanted to bake today but didn't know what, and so flicked through the Mary Berry Baking Bible and came across these (amongst other things).  I had pretty much everything I needed and it was a great excuse to finally use my mini casserole dishes for something.  It was also the first time using my bamboo steamer and it worked well.  I want to steam more things!  The recipe is actually for four sponges, but I only made two, one each for me and my boyfriend as a little evening dessert.

Anyway, this was mostly successful.  I steamed for as long as recommended but unfortunately this wasn't enough and the first one I turned out just collapsed into goop.  So they went back in the steamer for another 10 minutes or so and turned out fine.  I think I may have been steaming on too low a heat.


Recipe - adapted from Mary Berry's Baking Bible
Makes 2 
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • Grated rind of 1 lemon
  • 50g/2oz butter
  • 50g/2oz caster sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 50g/2oz self-raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  1. Grease two 175ml/6fl.oz pudding basins or mini casserole dishes.
  2. Mix the syrup and lemon juice together and then spoon half into one basin and half into the other.
  3. Put all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix together until well combined.
  4. Split the mixture between the two basins and level it out.
  5. Make a lid of pleated greaseproof paper to sit on top of each basin and then cover with foil.  Don't seal too tightly.
  6. Steam the puddings for about 45 minutes.  You can do this in a steamer or using a large pan filled with boiling water.  If you are using the pan of water, invert two saucers and sit the basins on top of them to stop them being in contact with the base of the saucepan.  Fill the saucepan with boiling water until it reaches halfway up the basins.
  7. Test the sponges with a skewer to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
  8. When done, turn out onto plates and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment