Wednesday 22 August 2012

Raspberry Topped Cupcakes


I like making things for my boyfriend to take with him when he visits his friends but now I'm working again, I don't have quite as much time to spend making things as I used to.  So today's bake was something quick and an excuse to use up some of the leftover raspberries: vanilla sponge cupcakes and raspberry buttercream with a raspberry and white and pink edible pearls on top.  I really would have preferred swirls of buttercream, but I overdid the raspberries so everything was too runny and I didn't want to keep adding more icing sugar because it was already using a lot.  I ended up with at least half my buttercream left over, so I'll halve the recipe in the write-up.  I still thought they looked quite pretty though, especially with the bright raspberry poking out the top, so it wasn't too bad.


Recipe:

The cupcakes were made following my standard cupcake recipe and made 12

For the decoration:
  • 55g/2oz raspberries
  • 55g/2oz butter
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g/8oz icing sugar 
  • 12 raspberries for decorating
  • Edible pearls (optional)
  1. Wash and dry the raspberries thoroughly.
  2. Put the raspberries, butter, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl and beat together, ideally with an electric hand mixer to blend up the raspberries.
  3. Add the icing sugar and mix to combine.
  4. Spread over the top of the cooled cupcakes.
  5. Place a raspberry in the centre of each cupcake and add edible pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment