Friday 4 January 2013

White Chocolate and Custard Biscuits


I love white chocolate and the last couple of months it has been my go to sweet for dessert.  Recently though, I've been wanting biscuits too, so I went hunting for a recipe that had both biscuits and white chocolate in it.  And I found a couple of good looking ones, one for me and one for the fiancé.  Since I didn't have one of the key ingredients for the fiancé's biscuits and the local shop didn't have  either, I went ahead and made the ones for me (though there are plenty for him to eat too).

So these are essentially white chocolate chip cookies, but they have custard powder in them too, which adds an extra sweet taste to the biscuits.  In fact, both the fiancé and I thought they ended up tasting a lot like Millie's Cookies.  We thought that was rather splendid and the things are ridiculously moreish.  They are also really quick and easy to make, which is just a bonus really.



Recipe - adapted from BBC GoodFood
Makes about 36 biscuits 

  • 140g/5oz butter
  • 175g/6oz caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g/8oz self-raising flour
  • 75g/2.5oz custard powder
  • 100g/3.5oz white chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line 3 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
  3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
  4. Sift together the flour and custard powder into the mixture and then fold in to get a soft but slightly sticky dough.
  5. Add the chocolate chips and work through the dough with your hands until evenly spread.
  6. Take walnut sized pieces of dough and roll into balls with your hands.  Place the balls on the tray, repeating until all the dough is used up.
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are golden but the middle is still a little soft.
  8. Use a spatula to transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment