Monday 18 February 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Whoops, I meant to get this up last week, since I made them on Thursday.  Time keeps getting away from me at the moment.  Anyway, chocolate chip cookies were one of the few things I would bake a lot during my time at university because they were quick, simple and inexpensive.  Seems strange I've not made them in such a long time because they are yummy.  I have two recipes I alternate between when I make them.  The one used for these was the second one I acquired.  I got it out of a book belonging to someone else and now can't remember which book.  I like looking at other people's cookbooks and I write down recipes I like.  Nowadays if I do that, I make a note of the source too, in case I want it to go up here.  But alas, not this one.  If I find it I'll credit it.  For now I've just been working on the version written in my notebook.

So I decided to make these due to having an egg yolk left over from making the almond paste for the Semla cupcakes, as well as chocolate chips sitting in the cupboard.  No point letting a perfectly good yolk go to waste.  My other cookie recipe doesn't use egg, so I'll have to post that one at some point in the future too.

I do really enjoy these cookies.  When you first bite into them, you may think they don't taste that impressive.  But then you'll find yourself eating another, and another.  They are surprisingly more-ish.  And rather scrummy with ice cream.  They're meant to be a slightly soft biscuit.  You may think they need longer in the oven than they do, but if you leave them too long, they end up really hard because they firm up after they come out.  So they will be soft when they come out but don't worry.



Recipe - makes about 20
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 75g/2.6oz butter
  • 50g/1.7oz icing sugar
  • 150g/5.3oz plain flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 100g/3.5oz chocolate chips 
  1. Mix the egg yolk, vanilla extract and water together in a jug.
  2. In a large bowl, blend together the icing sugar and butter until it is pale and fluffy.
  3. Add the egg mixture to the sugar butter a little at a time, mixing in after each addition.
  4. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder, add the chocolate chips and stir together until just incorporated.  You should end up with a somewhat soft and sticky dough.
  5. Shape the dough into a cylinder that's about 30cm/12 inches long and wrap in clingfilm.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.
  6. Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 2 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  7. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut into 20 even slices.  If the cookies get squashed when cutting, shape them into circles with your fingers.  Place on the tray, an even amount of distance apart.
  8. Bake for about 15 minutes.  They will seem too soft but they do firm up.
  9. Leave to cool on the tray for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment